Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Blog 2 Utopia/Dystopia


Utopia- 1. An imaginary and indefinitely remote place.
          2 .often capitalized : a place of ideal perfection especially in laws, government, and social conditions
                                                                                                  
After defining the word Utopia and finding the actual meaning, I feel what I thought was the definition was not too far off. When I hear the word Utopia I think of a place with greatness, pure pleasure and persons' wildest fantasies. What I understand from the definition is it’s an idea about how to create a perfect world, civilization or culture. Only in reality I feel this type of place couldn't exist. Reasons being are because everyone has different views, morals, and beliefs. So for there to be a "perfect world" we must first figure out how to get everyone on the same page. 
Dystopia- an imaginary place where people lead dehumanized and often fearful lives

 I've never heard of the word Dystopia, but after researching Utopia I had a thought it would be the opposite. The understanding I get from the definition is how African Americans feel while living in the United States. Many feel that they don't get the same advantages as other races. Some still dwelling back on the times of slavery and the mistreatment of African Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment